Wednesday, January 15, 2014

TIA

"This is Africa."

As I prepare for departure next week, I am waiting for news from Ilula.  To be an American visitor in Africa does take a suspension of certain expectations of many things we take for granted here at home and simply do not tolerate in our environment.

The well has failed at Ilula.  I do not know exact details yet and perhaps won't until arrival next week.  I can tell a story about it and correct the details later.

When we were in Iringa last summer, there was a problem with the well at Ilula.  One explanation for the problem was that the pump installed had a capacity too small for the demands on the well.  I presume the well supplies the hospital with water too, not only the residences where we visitors stay.  Water is being carried to the residences and hospital daily for washing and toilet use.  We drink bottled water and soda or beer.

We do have a group of intrepid, heroic engineers visiting Iringa and surrounding area, including Ilula and will commandeer their expertise offering little more than grateful thanks for there efforts.  I wonder if I will be able to bring a pump from the US.  But is it bigger than a breadbox?

Also, on a much less important note, apparently the internet is out at Ilula.  Possibly, there is some electronic upgrade I can bring.  Again, is it bigger than a breadbox?  So that is why, I presume, that there has been no update from the residents of the Ilula Campus so far.

We can only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment