Friday, January 17, 2014

There must be something else I should be doing…



I am busy with my personal preparations and have now finished my two talks for our First Annual (we hope) Ilula Medical Conference.  I will publish a schedule for the conference in a separate post, after arrival so I can make sure I have all the names in the correct topics.  The students will all be participating (whether they know it or not at the moment) as well as the faculty.  I have only scant information to report at the moment from Ilula.

I know they needed to have water transported from the village for non-potable use.  The bottled water is fine for drinking.  Food is cooked thoroughly and water for coffee, essential for the wazungu, or tea is boiled.  That is safety is not an issue, just convenience at this point.

My hope is that the U of M miracle workers have done magic, drilled a new well, replaced the pump and installed a water purification system.  (Well, OK.  That would be magic, even for our intrepid U of M Engineers.)

We were hoping to have things all in order for opening the Nursing School in March.  Unfortunately, even if the building is finished, I believe the water situation has pushed the opening to September.  It was supposed to be two full years ago, but that is another story….

We have planned our departure rendezvous for Wednesday and for all our fans who want to see us off, we will meet at the Delta Group Check-in on the lower level at 12:30 PM.  We are Ken Olson, Leslie Pratt, Jill Stebbins and Norrie Thomas.  John Kvasnicka is meeting us in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment