Friday, February 7, 2014

Radio Furaha and Idete Dispensary

I spent last night at the Lutheran Center so I could be here in the afternoon for a meeting with Joan Mayer from USAID and be ready this morning for the Radio Furaha broadcast about nutrition and breastfeeding.  Joan had to cancel.  So I had a nice dinner with the Como Park group.  There was a rousing discussion on many topics and all left as friends.  It is so stimulating to hear many thoughtful perspectives, all right in so many different ways.

This morning started bright and early with me waking up just after 5 AM.  I reviewed the material I wanted to cover and had a little breakfast.  The Radio Furaha studio is inside the gates at DIRA.  The manager is Protas Kanamela.  I don’t know if he is on air anymore, but he definitely has a great voice for it.

The studio room is very quiet.  Two radio jockeys broadcast the morning show, also with great voices.  There is a desk with lots of equipment and a computer and very official looking radio gear.  For the call-ins, they cover a cell phone with a foam damper, like the kind we see on the microphones.  Well, the other stuff looks official.  But no more effective that this innovation!  To get to the sound booth, you enter through an anteroom.  Shoes are removed outside.  My friend Maria Biswalo was there to assist me.  She is Tanzanian whose early schooling was at a boarding school where all the kids spoke German.  (Her husband is the son of our German friend Beate Mundt.) She spent another four years in the US at University of New Orleans.  She speaks English with no accent.  It was great to have her help!  We talked about nutrition and breastfeeding and then answered call-in questions.  As far as I am concerned it went well.  But then, how would I know?  Although, I think Maria would have been kind enough to tell me if they were talking about the weather in, say, Minnesota.  Apparently it was live-streamed over the internet.  I may never know that for sure either, unless some English speaker who knows me actually tuned in.  The gang from Como Park tried to catch it on the internet but were unsuccessful.

From the road overlooking a valley near Idete
When I finished with the radio show, Dr. Saga and the students were waiting for me.  We bustled off to Idete in two vehicles.  The old Land Cruisers are quite serviceable, but may be of a vintage prior to shocks and springs.  It is a much shorter trip than to Idunda and only 15,000 bumps were recorded by my FitBit.  Idunda is a 25,000 bump trip.  Of course that is both ways.  One of the students tells me there is an app (of course there is) that turns off counting when you are in a vehicle.  No way, Jose!  I earned those bumps too.


The old ward
We brought a bunch of medicines to Idete purchased by Randy Hurley (and possibly SOTV).  We had a little tea.  But not just tea; actually, tea, chicken, potatoes, vegetables and assorted sodas.  Never just tea!  This is Tanzania where hospitality, relationships and generosity reign supreme, immediately under religion.

Labor bed in the old ward
The dispensary at Idete is extremely nice.  I was there in August with the Lake Park folks when they delivered a lot of new equipment, supplies and medicines.  Many doors are narrow in Tanzania.  We had trouble getting all of the beds into the wards, especially the two-ton Tilly of a maternity bed.  The only thing we could do was to tip it on its side and scrape it through.  Thankfully, nothing broke off.  For most doors, the width doesn’t matter much.  Tanzanians themselves mostly aren’t very wide.   But I hope the builders follow our suggestion of putting a narrow stationary side door along side the entry so we can get beds and stretchers in and out when necessary. 
Idete Clinic
Dr. Saga and I spent a lot of time going over the new plans and even then we forgot something that others noticed immediately.  (This would be “the forest for the trees” syndrome, I think.)

They should be extremely proud of the Idete Dispensary, the doors not withstanding.  They started with a couple of huts for labor rooms or ward beds.  You see the photo!  Then they constructed the old one, still serviceable.  The new digs are terrific.  The maternity ward has two delivery beds and an exam table and an indoor choo.  Outside they have a choo building with 5 or six in a line.  There is a recovery room attached to the labor room.  I might add that the door has a stationary side door that opens to widen the space to accommodate the delivery bed.   Two more wards for males and females allow plenty of growth.
The new dispensary

While our pharmacy students restocked the shelves with the medicines, Chandra, Deepthi and Cole saw a few patients, including a spry 90 year-old with knee problems, a 75 year-old with cough, probably TB and a baby with a stooling problem.  (Well, yes, I was there too).

Our Crew: Astrid, Cole,Chandra, Deepthi, Shana, Tuli, Kelsey and Dr. Saga
After a few photos, we headed out.  Now we will head back to Ilula after a couple hours in Iringa.  The students thought the drive to Idete was beautiful.  Of course I agree, but I do have a bias.  It was nice to be home after a successful outing.  And the rain held off.

No comments:

Post a Comment