Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Favorite Event

Since we didn't have much internet in Ilula, I will share what I wrote on January 26th.

My favorite event thus far has been hospice outreach with Dr. Nixon, two Ilula nurses, Cole and Erin.  We saw 4 patients one day and then the last patient the following day.  The visit included a nursing assessment followed by a physical exam by the physician/medical students and then ended with medication counseling and prayer.  As Dr. Nixon explained, each hospice visit addressed the physical as well as the psychological and spiritual health of the patient.  Many of the bibis (grandmas, plural?) were immobile from previous strokes and needed physical therapy.  Although physical therapy is not currently available in Ilula, many of the family members played a great role in the healthcare of the bibis .

There were many differences from the hospice care that I experienced in Tanzania versus the US.  Many of the hospice patients that I saw in Tanzania had illnesses that I thought were very manageable in the US.  It was puzzling to me at the time, but when you compare the resources and the cultural differences, it makes more sense.  Aspects that I thought that we can learn from this experience is how to better integrate all aspects of a person's life into their healthcare and making their goals our priority as the medicine team.  For example, one of the bibis was in great pain from multiple abdominal masses, most likely metastatic cancer.  We gave her pain medications and then did our physical exam.  Afterwards she was tired and just wanted to rest.  We offered prayer and then asked if she wanted us to sing a song of worship.  She picked out the song and then midway through the song, you could see her spirit lifted.  In fact, she got out of bed and started dancing.  It was such an incredible experience to see someone who was ill and in so much pain praise God for the goodness in her life.  The joy that this bibi brought to me during our visit reflects many of the moments that I have had here in Ilula.

PS.  Kari, one of the bibis asked about where you were.  She remembers you from last year.

1 comment: